Amygdala; Hippocampus; Learning; Memory; Neurobiology; Physiology; Behavioral Research
Neurobiology, Neural Networks and Neuropharmacology
My laboratory is interested in neurobiological mechanisms of learning and
memory from the molecular to the behavioral levels, with a major focus on
rapid forms of learning. The brain structures on which we have concentrated
include the hippocampus, amygdala, and perirhinal cortex. Collectively, they
are implicated in aspects of declarative and emotional learning as well as
aging-related forms of neuropathology and accompanying behavioral or mental
changes. The experimental knowledge we gain about synapses, circuits and
systems is incorporated into computational models for theoretical studies.
Specialized Terms: Neurobiological mechanism of learning and memory.
- Visually-guided patch-clamp recordings in brain slices Moyer JR, Jr. and Brown TH. Visually-guided patch-clamp recordings in brain slices. In W. Walz (Ed.), Advanced Techniques for Patch-Clamp Analysis. Third Edition (pp. 169–227). Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 2007.
Impaired trace and contextual fear conditioning in aged rats
Moyer JR, Jr. and Brown TH. Impaired trace and contextual fear conditioning in aged rats. Behavioral Neurosci, 120(3):612–24, 2006.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Parsana AJ, Moran EE, Brown TH: Rats learn to freeze to 22-kHz ultrasonic vocalizations through autoconditioning. Behav Brain Res. 2012 Jul 1; 2012 Mar 28. PMID: 22475554
- Navaroli VL, Zhao Y, Boguszewski P, Brown TH: Muscarinic receptor activation enables persistent firing in pyramidal neurons from superficial layers of dorsal perirhinal cortex. Hippocampus. 2012 Jun; 2011 Sep 28. PMID: 21956787
- Parsana AJ, Li N, Brown TH: Positive and negative ultrasonic social signals elicit opposing firing patterns in rat amygdala. Behav Brain Res. 2012 Jan 1; 2011 Sep 3. PMID: 21911010
- Baysinger AN, Kent BA, Brown TH: Muscarinic receptors in amygdala control trace fear conditioning. PLoS One. 2012; 2012 Sep 21. PMID: 23029199
- Moyer JR Jr, Furtak SC, McGann JP, Brown TH: Aging-related changes in calcium-binding proteins in rat perirhinal cortex. Neurobiol Aging. 2011 Sep; 2009 Nov 4. PMID: 19892435
- Bang SJ, Brown TH: Perirhinal cortex supports acquired fear of auditory objects. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2009 Jul; 2009 Jan 29. PMID: 19185613
- Bang SJ, Brown TH: Muscarinic receptors in perirhinal cortex control trace conditioning. J Neurosci. 2009 Apr 8. PMID: 19357262
- Bang SJ, Allen TA, Jones LK, Boguszewski P, Brown TH: Asymmetrical stimulus generalization following differential fear conditioning. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2008 Jul; 2008 Apr 22. PMID: 18434217
- Allen TA, Narayanan NS, Kholodar-Smith DB, Zhao Y, Laubach M, Brown TH: Imaging the spread of reversible brain inactivations using fluorescent muscimol. J Neurosci Methods. 2008 Jun 15; 2008 Mar 10. PMID: 18377997
- Furtak SC, Allen TA, Brown TH: Single-unit firing in rat perirhinal cortex caused by fear conditioning to arbitrary and ecological stimuli. J Neurosci. 2007 Nov 7. PMID: 17989293
- Moyer JR Jr, Brown TH: Impaired trace and contextual fear conditioning in aged rats. Behav Neurosci. 2006 Jun. PMID: 16768613
- Padlubnaya DB, Parekh NH, Brown TH: Neurophysiological theory of kamin blocking in fear conditioning. Behav Neurosci. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16719698
- Lindquist DH, Jarrard LE, Brown TH: Perirhinal cortex supports delay fear conditioning to rat ultrasonic social signals. J Neurosci. 2004 Apr 7. PMID: 15071109
- Lindquist DH, Brown TH: Temporal encoding in fear conditioning revealed through associative reflex facilitation. Behav Neurosci. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15113266
- Lindquist DH, Brown TH: Amygdalar NMDA receptors control the expression of associative reflex facilitation and three other conditional responses. Behav Neurosci. 2004 Feb. PMID: 14979781
- Choi JS, Brown TH: Central amygdala lesions block ultrasonic vocalization and freezing as conditional but not unconditional responses. J Neurosci. 2003 Sep 24. PMID: 14507971
- Moyer JR Jr, McNay EC, Brown TH: Three classes of pyramidal neurons in layer V of rat perirhinal cortex. Hippocampus. 2002. PMID: 12004792